Friday, March 13, 2009

Reflections on English 101D:


This had been a hard class for me. I am a very traditional person and writings that challenge my views put me on the defensive, it is who I am, or my identity, as it were, to challenge such thoughts, and I found a great deal that troubled me in the book, “Remix.” However, realizing that this is a diversity class, and that diverse views are expected, allowed me to fumble through the material.

To me, diversity is nothing more than a buzz word used to make people feel awkward about their own views and beliefs. In fact, it has been documented by many that diversity and multiculturalism are used by the politically correct segments of society to cause disharmony rather than harmony. As one example, this Quote from Richard Lamm in his essay, "How to Destroy American", he describes it this way. “I would establish dual citizenship and promote divided loyalties. I would “celebrate diversity.” “Diversity” is a wonderfully seductive word. It stresses differences rather than commonalities. Diverse people worldwide are mostly engaged in hating each other–that is, when they are not killing each other. A “diverse,” peaceful or stable society is against most historical precedent. People undervalue the unity it takes to keep a nation together, and we can take advantage of this myopia.” This is the kind of thing that has happened to every society that has promoted diversity above national pride. So by looking at diversity the way I do, you can see why this has been a difficult class for me. These feelings are also what have remained in the back of my mind when addressing the assignments.

The book had its moments, however. The one story that sticks out is “Masks,” written by Lucy Grealy, as someone who has worked with children and is also working on my teaching degree, this story touched me very deeply. When I sub for the local schools in my area, I always seek out the one student who others turn away from. Seeking out the identity of this young person is very important to me because I know that others have not taken the time to do so. One boy in particular that I have been working with lately has been labeled a “problem child” by most of the teachers, and many of the students at the school, simply because he is struggling with a hard family life, and a move that has caused him to separate from members of his family.

In examining his situation the subject of community came to my mind as well. How does one come into a small community when there are problems in a way that the community perceives the newcomer? The readings in, “Remix,” did a good job of discussing different communities and what we expect from them. What does this young man look at when he looks at a community who is so willing to look the other way, rather than get to the bottom of what is troubling him? No act of kindness ever goes unrewarded, and I firmly believe that in the short amount of time I spent with him, that I saw an improvement in the way he viewed the community that I love.

So with all of this in mind I selected the four writing in my portfolio for very personal reasons. I will be using, my discussion board on, "The Mask", as my writers choice piece, the first timed writing piece from, "Remember the Titans", as my revision piece, Struggling for Tradition as my critical thinking piece, and finally my essay #3, on pop culture versus traditions as my voice and audience piece.

Hopefully by the time I have completed my E-Portfolio project, not only will I have a better understanding about how I see the world, but also how it sees me, and that my writing will reflect the constructive criticism I have received in the class from both my teachers and my peers.

No comments:

Post a Comment